Friday, December 11, 2009

withholding



As I was laying in bed reading Eckhart Tolle's book A New Earth last night, this sentence jumped out at me and struck me like a lightning bolt.

There are so many times that I want more more more. Isn't that essentially what much of our culture is about? We are so often taught to want more, to never be satisfied, to be selfish, to take from the world.

I realized that when I am wanting more and feeling like I'm not getting what I want or deserve, it's because I'm focusing on taking rather than giving. It's like waiting for inspiration to come from the outside instead of listening and cultivating it within yourself. If I am waiting for the world to give me the opportunity to express my genius, comparing myself to others in the process, thinking "it's not fair," then I am not giving my true self to the world. I am withholding the genius that already exists within me (and within all of us) from the world. If I think the world is withholding abundance from me, really I am not living abundance in the world. I am living lack. I am withholding that positive energy from the world. It's all about giving. If I want abundance, I need to be and give away abundance. If I am already abundance, how could I receive anything other than that?

Tolle goes on to say that "you are withholding it because you think you are small and that you have nothing to give."

Do I withhold the genius within because I think I'm small and what I have to give is of no significance? Yes. I think many of us feel this way, because we compare ourselves to others who seem to know more, have more, do more.... when really, each of us has our own unique and incomparable experience of life, and that is what we each have to give.


Each of our experiences can help someone, and if we go into each situation asking myself "how can I be of service?" then the world will respond by saying "how can I be of service to you?"

I'm going to try this out for the next few weeks and see what happens.
Have a terrific weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Now, see, isn't it fascinating, because I am a total Tolle devotee too. I read and meditate upon a little inspirational text every night before I go to sleep and find it helps me be a more positive person overall. I agree with the above statement and will keep trying to make it part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds amazing. i watched a tv interview with him once and i could barely wrap my head around some of the things he was saying. i think i really need to read his books!
    thanks for sharing :)
    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for this post. it was just what I needed to hear today. I have been struggling with a lack mindset for a few days and it is killing me! This post was a shift back into abundant thinking for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a genius. I have to admit I'm probably the only life coach who has never read him, because I tend to stay away from the crunchy hippy-dippy stuff. Honestly, now that I think about it, I think I like what you said better than what he said anyways. But maybe I'll start picking up those self-helpers if someone really cool (ahem ahem) who I super admire (ahem ahem) would suggest one....(hint hint nudge nudge)

    The world is waiting for your genius, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this Jess. I've gone through a week of that struggle of comparing and not feeling good enough. We all go through it at times and yikes is it ever rough! I think especially when there is outside stress we can become more vulnerable to it. Like the stress of the holidays.

    I wrote down the quote to put in my studio and the question "how can I be of service?" get the wheels turning in my brain in a different direction :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Jess... yes, yes yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jess, thank you. How is it that I forget to check this amazing blog? Every time I do come by, I find something uplifting, mood-improving, thought-provoking and smile-inducing.

    Thank YOU for sharing your unique experience with us. You are a kind and creative soul who adds much to this world.

    I especially enjoyed the part about "how can I be of service." On the second day of a particularly challenging/disappointing craft fair, I tried to change my viewpoint and ask myself that very question. Rather than worrying about making sales, how could I be of service to people? From then on, my day unfolded with wonderful connections and stories. Still didn't get the sales, but I felt part of a much larger, more important design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah.. this is exactly what i needed to read this morning, Jess.. thank you!

    ReplyDelete