Tuesday, October 13, 2009



This is such a lovely story about appreciating the people that love us in our lives. Stephanie Freiss just started her first "real job" as a librarian at a grade school (a position for which she has no professional training and was hired on pure faith that she could do the job, because of a clear passion for books and her English degree-- she says it's been quite the challenge, full of ups and downs!) Here is what she has to say about her lovely photo above:

"Fall may not have arrived in the still hot and muggy Louisiana weather, but it was sitting on my bathroom counter this morning thanks to my sister/roommate, Kristen.

The sight of these gorgeous oranges and golds first thing in the morning opened my sleepy eyes wide and completely started my day off on the right foot. I only wish my sleepy brain had registered that the little packet to the left was World Market pumpkin spice coffee before I made my regular old cup o’ java! Oh well, I’ll thoroughly enjoy it the rest of the week. The card at bottom quotes You’ve Got Mail, “Don’t you just love the fall? If I knew your address I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils” and on the back tells me how proud she is of me, that she knows I can handle this job.

And I realized: in the past month and 2 weeks since I started this job, I have received so much support and encouragement from everyone important to me. My parents sent me beautiful flowers on my first day, and my mom emails with me daily and listens to my triumphs and despairs. My dad calls me at least once a week when we’re both up and driving before the sun to check on me, and he mailed me an engraved desk plaque. My sister talks with me every night and morning, and makes splendid gestures like sharpening 17 pencils by hand for this bouquet. My boyfriend texts with me all day long, staying abreast of my ups and downs, lifting me up or rejoicing with me accordingly. He’s also left a note on my windshield during one particularly down week.


With all of that loving support, how can I ever feel down and defeated? I still do, often, of course, but there one of them always is to love and support some more. It was good for me to realize all of this. Way too often, God's abundant provisions of love, encouragement, and support in the form of the people we interact with daily go unrecognized or under-appreciated. It's the old story of taking things for granted, but the truth is that the more clearly we choose to see the lovers and supporters in our lives, the more uplifted we are and in turn, the more uplifting we become to others. Look around you today and choose to see someone more clearly."

Great message, yes? It's so important to show the people we love how much they mean to us. Go give someone a big hug and thank them for being so wonderful! It'll make you both feel good.

*Thank you, Stephanie!!*

2 comments:

  1. Thank you stephanie- that is lovely. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing my post on your page absolutely made my month! Thank you so much for honoring it with a spot.

    ReplyDelete