Tuesday, April 7, 2009

enough is as good as a feast: by wendi gratz


i have a hard time with the idea of 'enough'. i find that i am constantly comparing myself to others, thinking my work isn't good enough, i'm not doing enough, blah blah blah... what would it feel like to embrace the idea that i am enough and i have enough just as i am? what a profound concept- i'd love to wrap my head around it! :)

wendi gratz created this embroidered piece to address this idea. she says:

it embodies everything I'm working on in my life right now, both in its content and in its execution. i love the message and it reassures me every time I worry about our finances or the larger economic issues of the day. and i loved the execution. this was a slow piece to make and I savored every minute of it - the play of light on the rich colors of the fabric and the thread, the sound of the thread pulling through the fabric, the feel of the cloth in my hands. it was a joy to make and i'd love to share that joy with your readers.

you can read more about the creation of this piece on her blog. (my favorite part is the cloud-- isn't it great?) check out wendi's website, too, for more embroidered and fabric fun!

*thank you, wendi!*

6 comments:

  1. Love it. Look at that embroidery and all the elements there, so intricate. And I like what she said about relishing the creation of the piece. That's enough, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a pleasure to see my work on Pecannoot - I visit this blog every day for a bit of happiness and inspiration and it always makes my morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! I love the waves, and this is such a powerful message. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very beautiful.

    Jess, I tend to compare myself alot, but I always remind myself with this saying from Louis Hay: "The ocean of life is lavish with its abundance. All my needs and desires are met before I even ask. My good comes from everywhere and everyone and everything".

    Remember, you are where you need to be and look at all the followers you have and growing! Step outside of your body and look at all the accomplishments you have done. I just started doing creative things, wishing one day I can accomplish as much as other people and I have so much to go, but hopefully it will grow. I know that all my needs are met! And so are yours!

    Sharing the love,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. "knowing others is intelligence
    knowing yourself is true wisdom
    if you realize that you have enough,
    then you are truly rich."

    Tao Te Ching, excerpt from #33

    ReplyDelete