Friday, April 10, 2009

this too shall pass: by tanushri shukla



tanushri sums up what this piece means perfectly:

to me, abundance isn't about loving everything i have but more about being detached from everything i have, such that i can enjoy it, revel in it, bathe in it while it's there, but be equally content when it's not. abundance is less unbridled joy more peace, less about being too excited to sleep and more about a restful nap, less about looking around my life and saying, "i love this so much, i hope it never goes away" and more about saying "i know i have the abundance in me to recreate this wherever i go."

and i think all this gets most perfectly summarized in the line "this too shall pass." i initially found strength in this line during some bad times when i needed to be reminded that the bad times eventually pass. but you know what, the good times pass too. and once we accept this yin and yang of the universe, we'll just carry our weather with us!

so in the poster you see a jumble of things, who knows if they're good or bad, but they're certainly all consuming. and a little asterisk that constantly reminds you, hey, don't let this bury you, it too shall pass.

yes, this sounds just right to me. how wise tanushri is! everything is temporary, so it's best to just flow with whatever comes your way, right? {you can find more wisdom from tanushri on her blog!)

*thank you, tanushri!*

8 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. And so true. I've been thinking about what abundance means to me, and this poster just made me take a deep breath and be calm... so there must be something in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an amazingly deep Truth in this... absolutely beautiful! I truly believe this is what Life is about, beyond words, and it makes me very happy to see it reflected and expressed in such a stunningly simple and yet clear way. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never thought of the good times passing, it is so true. i love this piece. thanks to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. o my goodness. this is so wonderful. Thank you for the amazing wisdom today!

    Can I say just one more time how much I dig this blog. Jess, this truly is the place I come for a morning dose of positive. THANK YOU for thinking of it and thank you to all who are making this space so special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the illustration perfectly visualizes "bad times". It's just a jumbled mess of confusion. That's so what it feels like when you can't yet see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I needed right now. As I finish up grad school I've been in this anxious state of not wanting it to end, not wanting to move from the place I love, not wanting to leave my friends behind. And then on the flip side I have all these anxieties about getting it done. This is such a great reminder that my next journey in life will also be great, as long as I leave the expectations behind and just be there more each moment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree. Thank you so much for the reminder.

    Tao Te Ching, Chapter 2:
    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad.

    Being and non-being create each other.
    Difficult and easy support each other.
    Long and short define each other.
    High and low depend on each other.
    Before and after follow each other.

    Therefore the Master
    acts without doing anything
    and teaches without saying anything.
    Things arise and she lets them come;
    things disappear and she lets them go.
    She has but doesn't possess,
    acts but doesn't expect.
    When her work is done, she forgets it.
    That is why it lasts forever."

    Sweet, sweet abundance: http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9/phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. ♥ this. now my computer desktop background.

    ReplyDelete